Re: Re: The Dak is stalling!

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 21:19:35 EST

Peter Grace wrote:

> PS -- Checked oil dipstick tonight, as well as transmission fluid. Oil
> is only a little high even when the Dak is hot. Transmission fluid
> definitely has an almost-burnt smell (almost a fresh-burnt, if you guys
> get what I mean) to it and is starting to change from red to a darker
> hue. Dammit, gonna have to get the transmission serviced sooner rather
> than later. As I said in a previous post, already way overbudget for
> this year already!

Ok, if you threw in 5 quarts, you are definitely a quart over. This
will/can cause lots of windage, where the crank hits the oil in the pan.
  Causes foaming and breakdown of the oil, not to mention slowing down
the crank every time it hits the oil - which probably contributed to the
stalling. Ideal time to check the oil would be in the morning before
you start it up. That way, all the oil will be in the pan, and you can
get the most accurate reading. Forgive me if you already know this, but
you aren't checking the oil with the engine running, are you? I just
thought that if the engine is running, it may show the level as only a
little bit over full.

Go get the transmission completely serviced (flush, drain, new filter,
bands adjusted,) make SURE that the shop that does this uses proper
Mopar-compatible ATF (I don't know how old your truck is, but at a
minimum ATF Plus for the older trucks, if not +3 or +4,) not Dexron.
Ask what they use beforehand, and if they tell you Dexron, and that it's
ok, leave and find a different shop.