Re: Sirius/XM Radio w/ stock head unit?

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 11:15:29 EST

>I don't have all that fancy stuff (the steering wheel controls) on my
>stereo. I just have the standard-issue CD/AM/FM head unit.
>
>For the record, I've been listening since 1996 (and can't stand Imus or
>any of the other stuff on morning radio), and the decision hasn't been
>made yet. I hope he doesn't do it, just to become more of a thorn in
>the Prez's side, because the whole thing is about stopping him from
>speaking negatively about Bush (not about decency - that's just a
>smokescreen). The show hasn't changed one iota, except for the
>criticism of Bush on-air, and that's protected by the First Amendment.

If you don't want to go with an FM modulation unit, your only choice
without replacing the head unit is probably the Mopar Sirius unit -- and
even that's questionable, since I'm not sure if the non-Infinity system
will support it.

Since you don't have the steering wheel audio controls to lose if you
change head units, I'd look for a new head unit and tuner. You can
probably get a new head unit + xm/sirius tuner + antenna for the same price
as the mopar unit ;)

The other advantage is that you get the choice between xm and sirius --
Mopar only has a sirius unit. You should definitely take a close look at
the lineup for both before deciding. XM recently went commercial free on
all of their music channels, which is something that didn't seem to get as
much publicity as it deserved. Sirus' has been commercial free all along,
but it's an extra $5/month.

 From what I've seen, I think they're both great technologies and great
services -- you just have to decide which one fits you better. I've been
an XM subscriber for two years now. I bought my XM tuner because it was
compatible with the Pioneer head unit that I already had. I haven't looked
back, especially since it went commercial free. The broadcast radio around
here really stinks, anyway. Too many commercials and too much static
driving around town.

-Bill

--
Bill Pitz <dakota@billpitz.com> - Penngrove, CA  USA