Re: Sirius/XM Radio w/ stock head unit?

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 11:42:29 EST

Bill Pitz wrote:

> If you don't want to go with an FM modulation unit, your only choice
> without replacing the head unit is probably the Mopar Sirius unit -- and
> even that's questionable, since I'm not sure if the non-Infinity system
> will support it.

I'd like to avoid FM modulation. Pretty much figured I'd be going
aftermarket if I couldn't tap right into the factory stereo I have.

> Since you don't have the steering wheel audio controls to lose if you
> change head units, I'd look for a new head unit and tuner. You can
> probably get a new head unit + xm/sirius tuner + antenna for the same
> price as the mopar unit ;)
>
> The other advantage is that you get the choice between xm and sirius --
> Mopar only has a sirius unit. You should definitely take a close look
> at the lineup for both before deciding.

> From what I've seen, I think they're both great technologies and great
> services -- you just have to decide which one fits you better. I've
> been an XM subscriber for two years now. I bought my XM tuner because
> it was compatible with the Pioneer head unit that I already had. I
> haven't looked back, especially since it went commercial free. The
> broadcast radio around here really stinks, anyway. Too many commercials
> and too much static driving around town.

Well, my move (if there is one) to satellite will be driven primarily by
one program. If that program is on both networks, then I'll have to
look again at the lineups. If it's only on one network, I'll go with
that network or none at all. Reception is spotty around here, even for
local stations and I do enough cross-state driving that having one
station with me all the way will be nice.