Re: replacing front pads and rotors

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 20:30:28 EST

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:26:50 -0500, cwkitts@comcast.net ("Curt Kitts")
wrote:
>Hey guys, this weekend i am gonna replace the rotors and pads on the 2002
>dak. I went on dakota.com, and noticed alot of posts regarding the brakes on
>these trucks. Most of the posts were not good. You guys experience problems
>with the front brakes?And how often do you adjust the rear brakes? Last
>thing, since its my first time on dak brakes, any little tricks i should
>know about?

On my 2000, the stock rotors warped at 20-some K miles. Had them
resurfaced. Warped again all too quickly. I replaced the rotors with
Powerslots and the pads with Hawks last spring. Haven't really put on
a lot of miles since then, but so far so good.

The rotors could always use to be bigger (no such thing as too much
braking power, IMO) but they seem to do just fine.

In fairness to the stock rotors, I do tow a bit during the
spring/summer months. I also drive through deep water now and then.

-Bill