trip stats

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 17:20:36 EST

so for those of you who care....
the GPS says we had a moving average of 58.9 MPH, covering 2479 miles
in about 42 hours of driving.

my gas log includes a bit of pre-trip mileage, and skips the last 40
miles or so, and of course includes any short trips where the GPS was
off, and totals 2596.9 miles.

In those miles I burned 169.6 gallons of fuel, averaging 15.4
miles/gallon with a min/max of 13.4 (all of MN, including hard
acceleration and high speed in u-joint vibration testing) and 16.6
(westbound, all of Ohio to I-69 in IN at 71 MPH). Dropping 1 high/low
gives me 15.5 MPG.

<aside>
I started putting all my mileage numbers into a spreadsheet, and I'm
about half done. so far the truck's overall average is 13.3 from a
sample of 34833 miles - the way I wrote in my notebook, I'm running a
page at a time forwards and backwards chronologically, so there are
roughly equal old and new samples in there. I like that I'm seeing an
upward mileage trend =)
</aside>

US$/gallon averaged $1.731 with canada included, and $1.686 without.

highest price paid unsurprisingly was in Niagra, ON. it worked out to
US$2.226/gal at present exchange. CAN$0.785/L.

<aside>
I have enough fuel to make it across ON from Detroit to Buffalo, but
needed a few gallons for running around in Niagra since we spent time
and miles there. Between the 20L I bought in Niagra and my next fill
in Buffalo I put in 22.1 gallons. I've got a "22 gallon" tank, and
when the truck runs out of fuel it takes about 20.5 to refill (knowlege
based on experience during sending unit troubles just after we got
it)...
</aside>

Highest stateside price was $1.839 in Buffalo on the return trip and
lowest price was $1.589 in Michigan City, IN on the return (sorry,
Barry - Gridly, IL is in a two-way tie for second-cheapest with Detroit
at $1.599, and I saw cheaper-yet gas in Detroit after we bought - like
1.539...).

Total fuel price was $289.18. I shouldn't have added that up....

just becuase I can, that makes for a price-per-mile for the trip
(including my oddball oil change schedule, discluding other fluids and
discluding the u-joint)

290
+22

----
312
/2600

= $0.12/mile. not too shabby, I'd say.....

-- Mike Maskalans <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/> 84 RamCharger 360 (parked) 98 Dakota CC 318 (Fixed!) mobile.612.618.4652 campus.585.274.2246 fax.360.364.3930