Re: Shock recomendations

From: BARRY OLIVER (DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 17:14:38 EST

>>> dml@tepidcola.com 03/16/04 09:50AM >>>

On Mar 16, 2004, at 08:42, andy levy wrote:

> I had the RS5000s on my '99 and they are *stiff*.

interestingly, the cheapass shocks Barry has (I don't remember what
they are) are far, far, far stiffer than my Rancho 9000s on their
stiffest setting. ....

Those would be $14 Gabriel VST's, and mine have almost 20k on them. My
theory behind cheap shocks is this: I can buy a lot of cheap shocks for
the price of a good set, but think what happens over the life of a shock
- after the first 10-15k miles, the good shock is about on equal footing
with a brand new Cheapass shock, then after 30k or so, the 1/2 worn
hi-dollar shock is actually less effective than the new cheapass
shock... I figure I will have new shock ride for much more of my
driving time than if I has bought the high dollar ones and expected them
to last 60k. I also end up money ahead, even counting the time to
replace them, 'cause our trucks are sooooo simple to do...