Re: The key's in the igntion! No it's not!

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Mar 17 2004 - 12:55:02 EST

On Mar 17, 2004, at 9:15, andy levy wrote:

> Got to work this morning, did my usual shutdown routine (lights,
> parking brake, etc.) and heard the door chime as I opened the door.
> Checked the lights again, they were off. Took the transmission out of
> gear, still didn't stop. Cycled the ignition a couple times, still I
> got the chime when I had the key out and the door open.
>
> Then I tried locking the truck with the remote. No dice. My truck
> thinks the key is still in the ignition!
>
> Happened to anyone else? Really not looking forward to scheduling a
> dealer visit & bumming a ride to work just for this.

if I have my key in the ignition, with the door closed the key fob will
lock it - but only the key fob, and the door has to be closed.

my mom's Ferd Taurus has a screwed up steering column and sometimes if
it's all the way up it will think that they key is in the ignition. It
does something a bit different than our trucks as far as the locking
goes - if the key is in and you lock the doors, the driver's will
unlock half a second later, leaving the other three locked. the
solution in her car is never to tilt the wheel all the way up - if it's
dinging bring it down a few notches.
I've never tried locking hers with the aftermarket remote, but since it
only does the unlock thing when the door is open, it should work with
the door closed regardless of key.

I've never seen this happen on a dakota. are you sure your fob won't
lock it when the door is closed? that would be an odd change for them
to have made IMO.

--
Michael Maskalans         <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak/>
'98 Dakota CC 4x4 318               '84 RamCharger 4x4 360