Re: Shock recomendations

From: BARRY OLIVER (DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Wed Mar 17 2004 - 14:15:41 EST

>>> david.clement@verizon.net 03/17/04 07:27AM >>>

In article <s05727fa.040@mail.dhs.state.il.us>, DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us
("BARRY
OLIVER") writes:

> On Mar 16, 2004, at 08:42, andy levy wrote:
>
> > I had the RS5000s on my '99 and they are *stiff*.
>
> interestingly, the cheapass shocks Barry has (I don't remember what
> they are) are far, far, far stiffer than my Rancho 9000s on their
> stiffest setting. ....
> >>>>>>>>>>>

> Those would be $14 Gabriel VST's, and mine have almost 20k on them.
My
> theory behind cheap shocks is this: I can buy a lot of cheap shocks
for
> the price of a good set, but think what happens over the life of a
shock
> - after the first 10-15k miles, the good shock is about on equal
footing
> with a brand new Cheapass shock, then after 30k or so, the 1/2 worn
> hi-dollar shock is actually less effective than the new cheapass
> shock... I figure I will have new shock ride for much more of my
> driving time than if I has bought the high dollar ones and expected
them
> to last 60k. I also end up money ahead, even counting the time to
> replace them, 'cause our trucks are sooooo simple to do...

Only comment I have is if you purchase a decent shock they typically
come with
a lifetime warranty and you won't have to pay again for the shock. I
typically
collect at least once sometimes twice on my shock purchases. Just so I
do not
have to fight with whom I purchased them from I stick a pin in the seal
so they
are leaking whn I return them.

FWIW, the VST used to be Gabriels top of the line replacement shock. I
had them
on my 89 Dakota and they certainly weren't $14 at the time.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4

Well, I'd actually have to look up my reciept, but they were the
cheapest ones they had, not heavy duty or anything - and they say VST on
the sticker. The fronts are sonething else, our local retarded Auto
parts couldn't find any shocks for my truck in his computer, so we
played the brand vs brand X-reference game until we found an equivalent
- As I remember the ones I used were listed for a Blazer or some such
nonsense, but they fit perfectly and work well.... and were cheap as
heck, also.