Re: It wasnt the transmission...it was the rear end pinion!

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sat Mar 20 2004 - 23:51:27 EST

"A Friend" wrote:
> My ex-wife's tranny didnt go,it was the rear end.The
> rear axle pinion broke in half,and locked everything
> up.The tranny is ok,but the whole rear end(bearings &
> gears)were replaced.Cost w/labor was $1250.00
>
> Truck has 44,000 miles on it.
> What the hell made that thing break?.She hadnt had any
> noise previous from the transmission/driveline...
>
> Anyone else had this experience?
>
> BTW,the kid who told me that the "42RE is a piece of
> shit",must be one of these idiots who abuse their
> Dakota.2 transmissions in 60K miles,sounds like a real
> "roger Ramjet" to me..

At the risk of starting off a flame war - I must defend Josh's position
here. The 42RE is basically an electronically controlled variant of the
  A-500 transmission. The A-500 has a nice long history of premature
overdrive unit failures and mechanical issues. As the number in the
transmission model suggests... *4* (forward gears) *2*(strength rating)
*R* (rear wheel drive) *E* (electronically controled --- 42RH is an
A-500 --- The rated strength of the transmission is a 2 - rather low
compared other stock transmissions, like the 46RE (that is why 42RE was
behind V6's only - not V8's) - - as the rated strength suggests - this
is not a heavy duty transmission to start off with. It was not designed
as a HD trans.

I personally have had issues with this model transmission in both of my
Dodge Dakota's and know of others who have had. my 2WD truck roasted its
stock trans after a modest 70K miles. The OD unit failed and took out
the rest of the guts. The transmission in Christine, my 4x4, has had
issues since I bought it. I went through a torque converter, an OD
solenoid, and a TQ conv lock up solenoid. Granted it was the swim in
the lake that finally killed it... but I wasn't expecting it to last
much longer before it went into the lake.

While your personal experiances with the 42RE may have been more
agreeable to you, than the experiances of others on the DML - I must say
that your choice of words in referring to Josh's opinions.... was ill
thought out.

"Why don't you ask me what it feels like to be a freak?"