It wasnt the transmission...it was the rear end pinion!

From: \ (dodgedakotaquadcab@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Mar 20 2004 - 12:26:41 EST

My ex-wife's tranny didnt go,it was the rear end.The
rear axle pinion broke in half,and locked everything
up.The tranny is ok,but the whole rear end(bearings &
gears)were replaced.Cost w/labor was $1250.00

Truck has 44,000 miles on it.
What the hell made that thing break?.She hadnt had any
noise previous from the transmission/driveline...

Anyone else had this experience?

BTW,the kid who told me that the "42RE is a piece of
shit",must be one of these idiots who abuse their
Dakota.2 transmissions in 60K miles,sounds like a real
"roger Ramjet" to me..

Hey Bernd,whats your appraisal on the rear end thing..

Digger
--- Garret Lewis <ladysmithgwl@1bigred.com> wrote:

> For my two 2 cents worth, I wouldn't recommend it.
> I've pulled a lot of
> different things in my day and if you are serious
> about towing, get a hitch
> and don't use the bumper.
>
> --The bumper is usually just a class I hitch;
> therefore, it usually gets
> overloaded.
> --The bumper can "sag down" after time.
> --Some trailers will put nice little dimples in your
> bumper near the ball
> when you make a sharp turn.
>
> Like I said, just my thoughts on the matter.
>
> Garret
> 1997, 4x4, cc, v8
> http://garretl.tripod.com

=====