Re: Sounds That are good, bad, and ugly

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 17:50:38 EST

Terrible Tom wrote:

> The Bad: A nails-on-chalkboard sound that has developed somewhere from
> my drivers side front wheel area. Balljoints?? Tierods?? The LAST
> friggin thing I want to do is have to start replacing suspension parts
> on a truck I've only made 6 payments on so far. Whatever it is - its a
> metal-on-metal grind. I greased the only zerks I could find. Are there
> any needle grease fittings?? I looked for them but didn't see anything
> that looked like a grease fitting (minus the zerks)
>
> I got the suspension off the ground (jacked the truck up at the front
> axle and stuck it on jackstands) - and it did NOt make the noise. The
> suspension was still under load from the truck - but the wheels were
> not making contact with anything. Stealer repalced the ball joints
> under warranty at about 30,900 miles - only have 37,500 on now in the 6
> months since.

Might want to check into CV joints Tom, I've heard that they can make
that sort of noise if/when they go bad. Does it do it over bumps, or is
it a constant noise that occurs as long as the truck is moving?

> The Ugly: The sound of my drivers side window ratteling and making a
> horrible racket as I roll it down. It rattles in the door back and
> forth until its halfway down - then its smooth. I took it into the
> dealer twice for this under warranty - it was doing this since I bought
> it. They said they couldn't find anything wrong. They cleaned it and
> lubed it both times and both times it came back shortly after. I called
> and they said now that I am out of 3/36 warranty - theres nothing they
> can do. F*#@ing Bastards! I'm going to have to yank the panel off
> myself and see what I can find.

My driver's side window has done that for the entire time I've owned the
truck, after the body shop had to remove the glass to prep and then
paint the door after an accident. I've had it into the dealer numerous
times for it and even looked at it myself and could find nothing wrong.
  One time, some bracketry inside the door snapped while I was trying to
roll it down and when the dealer fixed that, the shudder went away.
After a while, it came back though. The passenger window is perfect
though, has never made any noise or shuddered in the track. Perhaps
it's because the driver's window gets the most usage?

On a sidenote - our 96 CC Ram's windows both do this, and have since day
one IIRC.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L