RE: Sounds That are good, bad, and ugly

From: Rick Barnes (barnesrv@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 21:46:00 EST

Bad power steering pump maybe?
Just a wild guess...

Rascal

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net] On Behalf Of Terrible Tom
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 8:01 PM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: Re: DML: Sounds That are good, bad, and ugly

Josh Battles wrote:

> Terrible Tom wrote:
>

> Might want to check into CV joints Tom, I've heard that they can make
> that sort of noise if/when they go bad. Does it do it over bumps, or is
> it a constant noise that occurs as long as the truck is moving?

2001 Ram - no CV's solid axle. I forgot to add that the noise happens
any time the wheel is turned - most ofton it occurs turning left. The
wav file of the squeal was a full lock to lock turn to the left from far
right position. Happens when in motion and when stationary.

> My driver's side window has done that for the entire time I've owned the
> truck, after the body shop had to remove the glass to prep and then
> paint the door after an accident. I've had it into the dealer numerous
> times for it and even looked at it myself and could find nothing wrong.
> One time, some bracketry inside the door snapped while I was trying to
> roll it down and when the dealer fixed that, the shudder went away.
> After a while, it came back though. The passenger window is perfect
> though, has never made any noise or shuddered in the track. Perhaps
> it's because the driver's window gets the most usage?
>
> On a sidenote - our 96 CC Ram's windows both do this, and have since day
> one IIRC.

Tonight I washed and waxed the Ram and decided to rip the door panel
off. I discovered that the dealer probably never even had the plastic
weather sheild off. It was pristine. Unless the replaced the sheild
completly - the one on there had never been pulled off. I find it
probably that they just didn't do anything. I took my grease gun with
my HD chassis grease - and just lubed the HELL out of anything that
moved. The side tracks - the lower slide track. And guess what? NO
RATTLE! Tomarrow I call the dealer and rip em a new one.

"Why don't you ask me what it feels like to be a freak?"