re:Water Pump swap ('97 3.8L)

From: victor.williams@byers.com
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 13:11:25 EST

At some parts stores , you can check out a fan clutch wrench which can make
the job easier. Or NAPA has them that they will sell.
One of the two tools is a hinged bar with slots that you grab the pully
bolts with and the other is a 36mm(?) wrench to grab that big nut.
This works on the old pully whereas the pressed on pully needs a pin wrench
or belt wrench to hold it still.
I made a tool from a flat steel bar and two bolts that fit the holes. Or
you can just crank down on the tensioner and keep the pully from turning
once you get the belt back on.

Victor Williams
Marietta Ga
1995 CC Sport 2wd,5.9l,5sp,3.55LSD,MP sp intake,Flowkooler,
Jardine catback,Flowmaster 70,CarSound Cat,MSD 8mm wires,
Tow pkg,207rwhp,285rwtq - 272000 miles

>Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 02:13:21 -0600
>From: Derek A <datteber@davesworld.net>
>Subject: DML: Water Pump swap ('97 3.8L)

<snip>

>However, tonight I went to start in on the swap, and ran into
> a situation. I was going to try to do this without a Haynes/
> Chiltons/Shop Manual, but... I got the water drained from
> the radiator, and the serp. belt off, so I start to take the
> water pump pulley bolts off, to get the fan and clutch out of
> the way, and I realize they don't come off that way. It's
> better for me to refer to some pix I snapped and put up at
>http://www.show-n-go.net/autos/97dakota/WaterPump.htm
> In the pix, I've got the fan bolts out of the clutch, and
> the pulley bolts out of where they go into the pump....
>
>How does the clutch separate from the water pump.... do I
> somehow loosen that "Large Nut"
>
>Then what about the differences in the new water pump I got?
> Did they give me the wrong pump? Does the fan clutch nut
> screw onto that new pump "nose"? Then are the holes in that
> pulley just for looks?

<snip>