Water Pump swap ('97 3.8L)

From: Derek A (datteber@davesworld.net)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 03:13:21 EST

There'd gotten to be a pretty steady drip of coolant out
 from underneath the engine of my Dakota, and I think I
 traced it down to the water pump. Since the timing chain
 was replaced in early January, by the dealership I bought
 it from, first thing I thought was they didn't get something
 sealed up. Upon inspection it looked like it was from the
 pump itself (weep holes), so I picked up a new one from
 Advance Auto.

However, tonight I went to start in on the swap, and ran into
 a situation. I was going to try to do this without a Haynes/
 Chiltons/Shop Manual, but... I got the water drained from
 the radiator, and the serp. belt off, so I start to take the
 water pump pulley bolts off, to get the fan and clutch out of
 the way, and I realize they don't come off that way. It's
 better for me to refer to some pix I snapped and put up at
http://www.show-n-go.net/autos/97dakota/WaterPump.htm
 In the pix, I've got the fan bolts out of the clutch, and
 the pulley bolts out of where they go into the pump....

How does the clutch separate from the water pump.... do I
 somehow loosen that "Large Nut"

Then what about the differences in the new water pump I got?
 Did they give me the wrong pump? Does the fan clutch nut
 screw onto that new pump "nose"? Then are the holes in that
 pulley just for looks?

Am I going to have to remove the A/C Compressor and brackets
 to get to the upper hose coming out of the water pump?

I guess I'll probably stop and pick up a Chiltons tomorrow
 (today - Wednesday) after work, but any "real-world" advice
 would be appreciated.

Thanks

Derek Atteberry
'97 Dakota SLT Club Cab 3.9L + some other GM and Ford cars
http://community.webshots.com/user/showngo
http://www.show-n-go.net