Re: DML:Diesel in a Dakota

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 09:53:13 EDT

On Apr 18, 2004, at 23:23, Aaron Wyse wrote:

> And on top of that.. Around here.. the diesel fuel is $.10 cheaper
> than the
> 87 octane.

just about everywhere, it seems.

> For you Mike.. I'd be watching for the Cummins for in your RamCharger..

There's a guy over on ramchargercentral who did a very nice swap from a
newer Ram into his RC, so that's definitely on my radar - but I think
I'd rather put the money into the truck *without* the holes in it.

If I bother doing anything with the under-hood bits of the RC in the
short term it'll either be moving the 360 to propane (or rebuilding it
and then running propane) or finding a cheap way to do EFI (maybe a
certain less-tired 318 plus MegaSquirt?).
I don't have any experience with it yet, but I'm sure that my carb
won't like funny angles any more than any other carb, and
stalling/flooding offroad al the time would just be annoying.

> Personally.. I think a Dak with a 3.9L Cummins pushed up to around
> 275HP
> would keep me pretty content. But for my RamCharger.. I'd prefer the
> 5.9L
> or even the 8.3L Cummins.

well, ~275 is decently better than what I've got now, and the tq blows
it out of the water. with a simpler fitting (versus the 5.9), that
might not be too bad.....

Things to think about once I actually have a job + money. damn real
life showing up in a month.....

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
84 RamCharger 360 (parked)         98 Dakota CC 318 (Fixed!)