Re: Gen 3 Air hat space?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 18:33:23 EDT

At 12:18 AM 4/19/04, you wrote:
>Has anyone measured the vertical space between the TB and
>the bottom of the hood with the hood closed? -- SNIP --
>I need to know how much space there is under the hood of a Gen 3
>Dak with the 5.2L engine. John

When I was using the K&N 1503 kit with M1-4bbl intake and hood
liner, the highest K&N filter that I could use was 2.25". This is
because the engine slopes upward the closer that you get to
the front grill. Probably can add 1/8" without the liner and maybe
another 1/8" if stock intake manifold.

With the ram air box from Air Inlet Systems, their base lid bent
so that the front of the box is almost on the a/c nut, a flat, not
domed top lid and liner, I can use a 14 x 2.83" K&N air filter.

On both setups, there was a deep gouge in the liner made from
the nut on the S-bolt. There is enough clearance with the M1-4bbl
and stock air hat without making any markings on the liner.

Bob Tom Ontario, Canada
97 Dakota CC Sport, na modded 5.2L, 4x2, 44RE w transgo, 4.56 SG,
      3000 stall converter, 4120 lb race weight, 13.98 @ 99.85