Re: Re: 45-RFE transmission pan gasket?

From: Pindell, Timothy (TPindell@OTTERBEIN.EDU)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 09:22:02 EDT

I agree, Dave. I use RTV all over the place. I think that "technique" is
the key. The problems that I've had with pre-made gaskets usually have to
do with overtightening the fasteners and squishing the gasket material even
with the 'proper' torque. I always use the recommended torque spec from the
FSM and sometimes it's too much for the repop gaskets.

Here's the way I do it (not that I'm an expert):
1)Clean both sides of the sealing surface thoroughly. Finish with brake
cleaner and rag.
2)Liberally apply whatever appropriate flavor RTV to one side. Go completely
around bolt holes.
3)Let it skin over for about 15-20 mins. I clean the other side of the
sealing surface at this point.
4)Assemble hand tight only. Don't squeeze out too much of the RTV! This
allows a mm or so of the RTV to remain in the 'seal area'. Wait several
hours, preferably overnight, for RTV to set up.
5)Tighten bolts to specified torque minus 15-20%. Do not overtighten!

I can actually say that I get a perfect seal everytime. The drawback is that
it takes time to do it right. I also have a garage and a back-up vehicle so
I'm usually never in a hurry. YMMV.

Tim

> Gee!! I have just the opposite experience. I would much prefer to use just
RTV
> and I absoultly hate cork as a gasket material.
>
> Funny you mention the dif cover gasket. I threw away the gasket that came
with
> the overhaul kit for the 8 1/4 I rebuilt for my Barracuda and just used
RTV.