Re: Re: 45-RFE transmission pan gasket?

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 10:26:40 EDT

""Pindell, Timothy"" <TPindell@OTTERBEIN.EDU> wrote in message

> I agree, Dave. I use RTV all over the place. I think that "technique" is
> the key. The problems that I've had with pre-made gaskets usually have to
> do with overtightening the fasteners and squishing the gasket material
even
> with the 'proper' torque. I always use the recommended torque spec from
the
> FSM and sometimes it's too much for the repop gaskets.
>
> Here's the way I do it (not that I'm an expert):
> 1)Clean both sides of the sealing surface thoroughly. Finish with brake
> cleaner and rag.
> 2)Liberally apply whatever appropriate flavor RTV to one side. Go
completely
> around bolt holes.
> 3)Let it skin over for about 15-20 mins. I clean the other side of the
> sealing surface at this point.
> 4)Assemble hand tight only. Don't squeeze out too much of the RTV! This
> allows a mm or so of the RTV to remain in the 'seal area'. Wait several
> hours, preferably overnight, for RTV to set up.
> 5)Tighten bolts to specified torque minus 15-20%. Do not overtighten!
>
> I can actually say that I get a perfect seal everytime. The drawback is
that
> it takes time to do it right. I also have a garage and a back-up vehicle
so
> I'm usually never in a hurry. YMMV.
>
> Tim

That's where our situations (and techniques) differ. I'm usually doing
these types of maintenence in my driveway, and I don't have another vehicle
that I can drive. Plus, I'm moving into a condo (and a measly assigned
parking spot) that won't really allow me to do all these sorts of
maintenence things. They're ok with a tuneup or something, but they told me
not to get crazy.

I like the gaskets because it's over and done with, now. I don't have to
wait forever for it to dry.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L