Re: DML:

From: Pindell, Timothy (TPindell@OTTERBEIN.EDU)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 09:52:29 EDT

Good points. I hadn't thought of 'size', only 'capability'. A Ram 2500 2wd
standard cab might barely fit in the garage, but I'd have to come out the
window. I know that new Rams are expensive with the $4000-$5000 Cummins
option, and used CTD Rams hold value exceptionally well. I wonder what a
diesel option would cost for a Dakota-specific app. I can't believe that it
would be a good thing economically for DC to make too many different engine
options available. They are expensive to develop aren't they? I think DC
would have to re-structure it's marketing of Rams to accommodate a new
heavy-duty-but-small truck, not to mention the pansy-a$$ NVH requirements.
I would assume that the marketing folks at DC would want people to buy the
Ram 1500 with the biggest engine available if one wanted to tow seriously in
the 1/2 ton class. If fuel economy becomes a serious driving force in the
marketing of consumer-level light-duty trucks, I think that DC may have to
look at this diesel idea as a viable option in Daks. I'd buy one. I guess my
Big Question is this: Do you think that a diesel Dak might be slicing the
market segments a bit thin at this time?

Tim