Re: Diesel In a Dak? heh NOPE!

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 10:22:51 EDT

On Apr 20, 2004, at 00:15, John Neff wrote:

>> Nevermind the fact that *it won't fit*.
>
> Don't tell that to Banks. They stuffed a 24v 5.9L Cummins into a Dak.
> It
> took a LOT of firewall and trans tunnel massaging, but it does fit.

yeah. my thought is that they were aiming for a low truck to go fast
and be stable - but a body lift would add plenty of tunnel room at the
crucial bottom-of-the-firewall area.

With custom engine mounts to move the powertrain as far forward as it
needs to be, I think serious surgery could be completely avoidable.
Especially if you just moved the radiator to the bed, but I'd rather
not do that myself - I think more space could be massaged with a custom
a/c condensor/ radiator combo with pusher fans, possibly taking
advantage of extra space afforded by a custom bumper/ grille setup (I'd
say modifying the radiator support/ hood closure/ grille would be
simpler than the firewall/trans tunnel - but I haven't seriously looked
into either or if it would be required).

I also think that it would be a pretty simple swap (all things
considered) during a frame-off restoration, especially if things were
just coming out of a complete donor truck.

I think once I've got the RamCharger here as another driver.....
hehehehe =)

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
ClassTech Consultant  -  ITS Printer Tech  -  ITS Lab Tech