Re: Diesel In a Dak? heh NOPE!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Apr 21 2004 - 01:21:00 EDT

"Aaron Wyse" <awyse@sw.rr.com> wrote:

: They installed it in a GenIII not a Gen I like Tom's; even a Gen II would be
: a major undertaking for the 6 cyl.

    IMHO, the GenIII would actually be a more difficult install
than the GenI, especially when you consider access to the engine
after the install for servicing and maintenance. As Jason
pointed out the last time he was down, the 6cyl Cummins does
a very good job of filling up the engine bay of a RAM, much
less a Dak! I think he said something to the effect of seeing
the Cummins in person dashing his fleeting dreams of putting one
in his '95. :-) Even with the large Ram engine bay, a good
portion of the engine is still under the cowl. In any case,
definitely not a project to be taken lightly for any Dak
model! :-) (And of course, don't forget the other bulky
stuff that goes along with the engine, like the turbocharger,
intercooler and massive radiator!)

    If I had my choice of Dak to attempt the install, it would
be a GenII, with GenI close behind. I would seriously consider
slicing the nose off right behind the radiator core support
and stretching the frame rails and fenders to give some
additional clearance. That might require some stretching
just forward of the firewall to get the proportions of the
fender fore and aft of the front wheels looking somewhat right
though...

   Either that, or put the engine in the bed, and use a marine
style V drive unit to get the power to the rearend. :-) (I
saw something similar to that on a Monster Garage, but I don't
recall what they were building at the time.)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'