Re: What muffler are you running with?

From: brett4hand@hotmail.com
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 19:13:39 EDT

In article <000f01c428e0$1190bca0$fcf98ed0@cc456355a>, dakota52318@toad.net
("TJG") writes:

> Just wondering what you all have.... Ive got a flow master right now, but I
> heard that they are some of the most restrictive mufflers that you can buy,
> but god I love the sound. With the SCer going on, what should I be looking
> to get? I love a fairly loud exhaust when you get on it, but mild while
> cruzing. I dont think that there is a better sounding car than a
> mustang.... what way would I want to go to get close to that?
>
> TJ
> dakota52318@toad.net
> 1992 Dodge Dakota 4X4
> 3.90 Gears, Long Bed
> 318, 46RH Auto
> DT Headers, Functional RamAir Hood
> K&N FIPK, Flowmaster Muffler
> Custom Throttle Body
> MP Computer
> Viper Electric Fan
> 15.74@87.59 b4 fan.
> 4350lbs

Without starting a flame war (hopefully), I think the word about Flowmaster's
being restrictive comes from kid's with stainless steel fart pipes, or from
other muffler manufacturers that are trying to sell mufflers. Plenty of
racer's (without Flowmaster's sponsorship) run them, so I seriously doubt they
are "restrictive". Pick any good high performance muffler, and you won't be
dissapointed with it. Sound preference is highly personal, though. I'm
running a 318 with Mopar headers, Catco cat, and 3" cat-back with a Flowmaster
Delta Flow 2 chamber muff. Like you, I absolutely LOVE the sound. It gets
compliments a lot. I had the Gibson muffler on before, and I liked it too, but
it wasn't loud enough for me (specifically at idle). Sounded pretty tough
getting on it, though. I've heard some supercharged trucks with 3 chamber
Flowmasters that sounded pretty amazing. Nice and mellow at idle, but they
scream at WOT. I personally don't think you'll get more performance out of
another performance muffler, just a little different sound. Save your money
for another mod!

Brett Forehand
'94 Dakota Sport CC 5.2 Auto