Re: "Found" 3 MPG

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 16:42:49 EDT

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 01:32:20 -0400, dusterrt@msn.com ("Travis Bailey")
wrote:
>Tip to those who complain of crappy milage (such as myself): slow the f$%@
>down!! I drove from home back to school and convinced myself to go 65
>rather than my usual 75. I got passed a lot more and the trip took a little
>longer but I pulled darn near 19 MPG. Usually I consider 16 average and 17
>good, with 17.7 being the previous record in the 7000 miles I've put on
>since late December '03. Did not think 10 MPH would make such a huge
>difference, but I guess it does! Wish the sweet spot was a little higher
>than that, but I'm happy, thats all I can say, lol. I guess I *wasn't*
>crazy when I thought it seemed like it barely used gas when going 55 between
>smaller towns when I'm at home..shoulda tried this sooner!

It definitely makes a big difference.

Unfortunately, my mileage "sweet spot" is between 55-60 mph.. Not that
practical for freeway trips. If I go on backroad/highway trips where
the limit is 55, I can easily pull off over 20mpg. If I keep it at
65, I can usually get 18-19 average... but sometimes I just can't
resist the temptation.

I've got a 2000 4x4 4.7L auto with 3.92s. The gears and the AT tires
aren't helping me out a whole lot. But, I don't drive that much (~130
miles a week) so I haven't really had to care yet. If I wanted good
gas mileage I wouldn't have bought a truck, damnit!

-Bill