Re: O2 Sensors

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 10:40:45 EDT

At 08:42 PM 4/28/04, you wrote:
>Just wondering if one companies make of 02 sensors is better than the
>others for our Daks? I have 3 choices, Mopar, NGK, or Bosch.

I would stick with the Mopar ones. From what I have read, the aftermarket
ones generally don't operate as well on Dodges and don't last as long.
As you can imagine, the specs required by each vehicle manufacturer
would be pretty tight on these type of items.

As Jason mentioned, he got a Bosch one from Canadian Tire and
it was toast in about 1/2 of the mileage as it should have been. The
Dodge turbo guys avoid Bosch like the plague because their motors
don't run right with them.

The Mopar ones are made by NTK which I gather are related, in some way,
to NGK (?). Still, the question is do they comfortably meet Dodge specs.

The front and rear sensors for the 97 Dak are different with different part
numbers. They are visible differences. No one knows the reason as far
as I can find out. I think that they use different materials which are more
suited for their slightly different functions but I have no proof of that.
I replaced both of mine in March but I can't find my invoice (arghh) so
I can't give you the part numbers.

At 50,000 km (~30,000 mi.), your sensors should have plenty of life
left in them and, because of that, I don't know whether new ones would
improve your gas mileage that much.

Bob