Re: Re: RE: Rear brake conversion

From: Barry (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 10:19:33 EDT

Bill Knight wrote:

> If disc brakes are so good then why do all tractor/trailer rigs have drum
> brakes? This was asked on a "How does it work? segment of "Trucks". The
> answer was that drum brakes privide more sueface area to stop the big
> trucks. I'd say with todays technology they could make a drum setup for
> todays passenger vehicle that stops every bit as good as disc brakes. Since
> the market is pushing how great disc brakes are the auto manufactures are
> not really interested. Plus as mentioned disc brakes are easier to maintain
> and probably easier and cheaper to manufacture. So take a look at a big rig
> next time. If drum brakes faded so much and did not have such great
> stopping power I'd stay away from the front of those big trucks. They have
> drums all the way around. And how many times have you seen someone pull in
> front and cut thes trucks off andwhen they hit the brakes tires smoke
> because the brakes work. For a smaller vehicle application disc does make
> sense but I would not go so far as to say disc brakes are superior to drum
> brakes.
> Let the flames begin.

I vaugely remember seeing something with a dual pad disc brake setup, maybe
a year ago. I think it was actually on a bike, but the upshot of the test
was that they mounted two sets of calipers on the same rotor trying to
equal the swept area of a like sized drum brake. The biggest problem I
think was keeping the disc cool. Damn, I wish I could remember the URL,
does anyone else remembber this or am I making it up?

--
          -Barry

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think" -fortune cookie

DML: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/Rb@6EE4xQAF2k/ Superhawk: http://barrysuperhawk.home.insightbb.com