Re: RE: Rear brake conversion

From: Bill Knight (billk5008@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 09:03:31 EDT

If disc brakes are so good then why do all tractor/trailer rigs have drum
brakes? This was asked on a "How does it work? segment of "Trucks". The
answer was that drum brakes privide more sueface area to stop the big
trucks. I'd say with todays technology they could make a drum setup for
todays passenger vehicle that stops every bit as good as disc brakes. Since
the market is pushing how great disc brakes are the auto manufactures are
not really interested. Plus as mentioned disc brakes are easier to maintain
and probably easier and cheaper to manufacture. So take a look at a big rig
next time. If drum brakes faded so much and did not have such great
stopping power I'd stay away from the front of those big trucks. They have
drums all the way around. And how many times have you seen someone pull in
front and cut thes trucks off andwhen they hit the brakes tires smoke
because the brakes work. For a smaller vehicle application disc does make
sense but I would not go so far as to say disc brakes are superior to drum
brakes.
Let the flames begin.
""Bill Nissley"" <bill@nissley.com> wrote in message

> Group buy on these going on at dakotausa.com