Re: DML:Rear brake conversion

From: Grady Ogburn (jgo@nospamplease.uswest.net)
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 08:10:31 EDT

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:34:19 -0400, fasstdak@hotmail.com said...

> Here's the average figures for a 2001 Dodge Dakota 2WD 4.7L Automatic
>
> Front Brakes: Loaded Calipers (includes pads) and both rotors: $280
> Rear Brakes: Shoes, Hardware Kit, both Wheel Cylinders, both Drums: $220

[snip]

> So again...marketing ploy? Nah

I may agree with your conclusion, but your premise is flawed.
What something costs has little if anything to do with the way a
"marketing" type treats it.

The real issue would be what the perceived value to the masses
would be; how much they could add to the price of the new
vehicle (or an option group) if they could print "4 wheel
discs" on the brochure. Doesn't really matter whether the
vehicle needs it.

I remember when Einstein's Bagel Bakery fluffed up their smoked
salmon cream cheese by injecting it with air. The 8 ounce
container suddenly carried only 6 ounces of goop, but they
charged the same for it. They got away with it, too. Why?
"25% Less Fat". No sh_t. There was 25% less product, so
technically it was a true statement. THAT was a marketing
decision. Marketing is evil ;)

*I* think DC just gave people what they asked for. Logically
speaking, shouldn't the rear discs be part of the towing
package?

--
Grady Ogburn (Denver, AIM: JGradyO)
Black '98 Sport CC 4x4 5.2l, 5 Speed, 3.55 LSD