Marketing (was:Rear brake conversion)

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 09:50:22 EDT

Grady Ogburn wrote:

>I remember when Einstein's Bagel Bakery fluffed up their smoked
>salmon cream cheese by injecting it with air. The 8 ounce
>container suddenly carried only 6 ounces of goop, but they
>charged the same for it. They got away with it, too. Why?
>"25% Less Fat". No sh_t. There was 25% less product, so
>technically it was a true statement. THAT was a marketing
>decision. Marketing is evil ;)

My favorite bit of marketing evilness is the phrase "no other product is
better / more effective than ours." Listen for this one, you hear it
all the time. Of course no other product is better, that's because
they're all equally good (or bad). "No other mere one-foot ruler is
longer than our new TWELVE inch model!!!"

Bah.