Engine knockin'

From: Cory LaBoucane (waterbody@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 00:31:24 EDT

Fellas;

Has anyone ever had trouble with an engine ping on a 318
V8?

Mine has been pinging a bit lately, especially under load
when the engine is warm. It is really noticable when I put
my foot into it a bit. I have tried 93 octane fuel. It
cures the ping, but the result is no power.

I think it may be the timing. Is it possible for the
timing to advance on its own?

My truck is a 97 318 X-cab 4X4 auto; the only mod is a K&N
FIPK.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cory