Re: My 360 V8 MPG Numbers!!!

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 13:43:33 EDT

Terrible Tom wrote:

> Well this is not totally off (Dakota) topic...
>
> I took a trip down to Chicago thursday and remembered the recent thread
> about fuel economy numbers and 360s and Rams. So I did something I've
> never done before........... the speed limit...
>
> I dropped my tail gate (also something I have never tried on highway
> travel) - set cruise control right at 65 MPH (or 55 depending on the
> posted limit) and only a few times exceeded the posted limit. I had my
> windows up and only had the blower on - AC was off. At 65 MPG with
> 275/70/17 tires, 4.10 rear gears and a 360 with an auto, I run exactly
> 2000 RPM.

Just correcting my own post - - that is "At 65 MPH with..." not 65 MPG
- - I wish...

> I traveled approximatly 250-260 miles - I regret I did not check the
> tripometer when I got off the expresway. But based upon previous trips
> - that is about right. I had slightly over half a tank of gas remaining
> at the end of that trip. Now I didn't refill until I was on empty -
> well into Friday night - by that time I had burned up the other half of
> the tank in lots of stop and go city driving and that murdered my fuel
> economy.
>
> According to specs I have a 26 gal. fuel can on the Ram. Based upon that
> I estimated what my economy was prior to evaporating half a tank of gas
> in $hitcago. Here is what I found:
>
> 13 gal of gas (approx half a tank) divided by 255 miles (estimated
> miles) = 19.6 MPG!

You divide the number of miles by the number of gals. of gas... not the
other way around.

> My actual MPG by the time I filled up was 14.7 MPG - after having
> traveled 309 miles and having used 21 gal. of gas. When I filled up, I
> had just over 1/8th of a tank on the dash.
>
> I drove back saturday morning. I had to work sat afternoon so I had to
> haul ass back north. I was also hauling about 400 lbs of decorative
> fower pot and pedistal - solid concrete, and about 40 lbs of sheet
> metal. (dont ask!) Tail gate was up this trip obviously and I had the
> windows down most of the way. I was doing 70-80 mph most of the way...
> slowed down to 55 for a construction zone.

Flower pot - not fower

***** Countdown to 2004 DML BBQ (70) Days Left! *****

Terrible Tom -- AIM & Yahoo Name: SilverEightynine http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/