Re: My 360 V8 MPG Numbers!!!

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 00:19:37 EDT

On 5/10/2004 5:03 PM, Michael Maskalans wrote:

| On 5/10/04 13:43, "Terrible Tom" <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:
|

|>>I traveled approximatly 250-260 miles - I regret I did not check the
|>>tripometer when I got off the expresway. But based upon previous trips
|>>- that is about right. I had slightly over half a tank of gas remaining
|>>at the end of that trip. Now I didn't refill until I was on empty -
|>>well into Friday night - by that time I had burned up the other half of
|>>the tank in lots of stop and go city driving and that murdered my fuel
|>>economy.
|>>
|>>According to specs I have a 26 gal. fuel can on the Ram. Based upon that
|>> I estimated what my economy was prior to evaporating half a tank of gas
|>>in $hitcago. Here is what I found:
|>>
|>>13 gal of gas (approx half a tank) divided by 255 miles (estimated
|>>miles) = 19.6 MPG!
|

| Well if I did math that way I'd get great mileage too. The fuel gauge is
| not linear - the top "half" of the tank is a lot bigger than the bottom
| "half".
|
| About twice as big from what I've seen - I can get about 200 miles on the
| top, but hit E at 300 miles (on my *best* mileage days - my range is
usually
| 250-260 miles)
|
| That would make for 255/17=15MPG
| This is a number I can believe. Unlike almost 20.

I won't bore the list (first time for everything) with my thoughts, as
I've been talking to Tom a lot about this (had a slow day at work). But
more to consider:

Tom's tires are nearly bald. His truck is calibrated for new tires.
Thus the odometer and everything attached to it will read high,
artificially increasing MPG.

Tom never made any scientific measurements on the real amount of gas
used at the beginning.

I tend to see better gas mileage on the first half of a tank than the
second. Which I know makes no sense, as it's an electric fuel pump, and
thus shouldn't be affected by the amount of gas pushing down on all the
gas going into the inlet.

- --
- -andy

        -Bob Tom