Functional Reflexxion Hood

From: Bill Nissley (bill@nissley.com)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 02:15:55 EDT

Here is my solution for making this hood work. You can really hear the air
entering the hood. Drove it some today, either I want to hear it sucking and
I am pushing it harder, or it is really making a difference. I hope it's the
latter.
I am going to try to get it on a dyno soon to see how it compares to stock.
I am going to do runs both ways.

The airbox -
http://home.comcast.net/~billnis/dakota/airbox.jpg

Here it's installed on the truck, also shows the seal sitting on the
throttle body. -
http://home.comcast.net/~billnis/dakota/airbox2.jpg

This is a picture showing the seal mating up with the airbox when the hood
is closed.

http://home.comcast.net/~billnis/dakota/airbox3.jpg

After some concerns about it keeping a seal when I romp on it, I did a test.
I put some of my wife's lipstick (I asked for an old one) on the edges of
the seal.
I closed the hood and gave it a few good revs, one reached just over
5,000rpm.
When I lifted the hood this image shows the results.

http://home.comcast.net/~billnis/dakota/airbox4.jpg

The insert shows a cross section of the seal surface It compresses to about
.75" wide when the hood is closed.
I don't think my engine is going to move far enough to break the seal, but I
could be wrong. What do you guys think after seeing this?

The biggest thing I need to do is make a cover for the TB for when I have
the engine up so things don't fall into it.

Bill Nissley
http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/Ah0EiM5qG@xcE/