Re: backfire through intake question

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 09:53:42 EDT

At 09:40 PM 5/15/04, Victor Williams wrote:
>My Dak is starting to backfire through intake occasionally. Say, once or
>twice a week and I drive about 400 miles a week. It usually occurs when
>accelerating hard in second then I shift into third. Right after I get
>into third
>and mash the gas it will pop once or twice. I will back off then it's OK.
>Thats
>the only situation where it occurs. Any suggestions as where to look first ?

If you haven't done so yet, the first thing that I would check is the condition
of the distributor cap and rotor. It took me awhile to twig onto the cap/rotor
(crud buildup on the contacts) when I was experiencing periodic backfire
through
the intake at wot on the track.

With your setup and then if the cap/rotor aren't the problem, I would then try
setting the fuel synch to open a little sooner (say around +4) to see if that
helps.

Bob Tom Ontario, Canada
97 Dakota CC Sport, na modded 5.2L, 4x2, 44RE w transgo, 4.56 SG,
      3000 stall converter, 4120 lb race weight, 13.98 @ 99.85