Straight Pipes on V6

From: Zachary Burcham (roadking_dakota@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 08:37:36 EDT

>Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 19:59:07 -0700
>From: Kyle Vanditmars <kylevan@telus.net>
>Subject: Re: DML: Straight pipes
>
>On Mon, 17 May 2004 20:24:54 -0400, WAJK1976 wrote:
>

> > Hello all
> > I have a 93 Dodge Dakota with the 3.9 V6. If I was to buy headers
>from JBA and run a staright pipe from the cat back (NO MUFFLER) How much
>more power would I get from the motor? Would there be any drawbacks from
>doing this? What is the advantage to buying the Mopar performance exhaust
>system they offer?
> >
> > From Jesse
>
>You'd probably be better off to spend your money on intake stuff first
>such as a ported TB and maybe a ported manifold similar to the ones from
>Hughes Engines, then go to the headers... As much as the GenII's are
>lighter, it's still a pretty heavy vehicle, so low-end torque shouldn't be
>sacrificed too much, which is what will happen with just headers.
>
>The straight pipe will be LOUD. I have a flowmaster 40 series and 3"
>exhaust from the y-pipe back on my '92 3.9. It's loud, really loud. I
>couldn't imagine straight pipes.
>
>oh yeah, one thing I forgot. The '92 and some '93 magnum engines had
>basically "HO" exhaust manifolds with a larger inner diameter. Check the
>casting numbers http://faq.dakota-truck.net/Model_Years/1992.html If you
>have the bigger manifolds, going to headers right away probably won't do
>much of anything.

I have a 1992 3.9L CC with cat back duals, no mufflers. It's loud yes, but
a flowmaster equipped V8 is about the same. I like the tone and sound
overall, it's gone down a bit as the miles pile up. I'm not really
concerned with low end but the truck does just fine by me. There is a drone
though, part of that due to my tip location, off the rear corners at 45s
with 3"x22" tips. They have a unique sound as well, great idle but for the
most part as you hit the higher revs it takes on a tone that is cool. Not
ricey at all.