re:Gen-II Radiator Replacement

From: victor.williams@byers.com
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 08:44:56 EDT

>Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 01:52:31 +0000
>From: "A. S." <adakota4x4@hotmail.com>
>Subject: DML: Gen-II Radiator Replacement
>
>Made a stop on the way home from work today only to come back to the truck

>to find a puddle of antifreeze on the ground. I popped the hood to make
>sure there wasn't anything obviously wrong (hose off or something) and
>decided to make the 5 mile trip home. After further inspection at home, I

>found a fast drip of antifreeze coming from the top left corner of the
>radiator. I haven't had time to look at it any more, so I'll be driving
>something else in to work until I can fix it.
>
>I assume the radiator will need to be replaced, or can these be fixed?
I'm
>not exactly sure where the leak is...just know it's dripping from the top
>corner.
>
>How hard is it to swap in a new one? Is there anything besides the
>upper/lower hoses and the transmission lines in and out? Do I replace the

>crimped hose fitting used on the transimission lines with new hoses and
>regular hose clamps?
>
>Any help would be great.
>Thanks.
>- --Aaron--
>95 DSRC 4x4 V6

Its not hard to replace.. I picked up an all metal ARS radiator for my 318
about $220 back in 1999. I would call around and see what is available.
It's easy to replace. On my 1995 CC 318 manual trans, just move overflow
tank out of the way (press in on the locking nub from the inside of the
shroud and lift it up) unbolt the shroud and move toward the engine.
Unclamp the hoses, unbolt the radiator and lift straight up.

Even with me flushing the radiator in the truck, it still was 1/3 clogged
up with some goo in the summer of 2003. Next time I'm going to pull it and
do it right.

Victor Williams
Marietta Ga
1995 CC Sport 2wd,5.9l,5sp,3.55LSD,MP sp intake,Flowkooler,K&N
dropin,Jardine catback,Flowmaster 70,CarSound Cat,Jacobs ign(disabled),MSD
8mm
wires,Tow pkg,207rwhp,285rwtq - 276000 miles on truck.. 41,000 miles on
used engine