Re: Today's gas prices

From: Aaron Wyse (awyse@sw.rr.com)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 19:46:03 EDT

They're not trying to recoup any losses.. They're raking in the money and
opening up more gas stations so they can get it while the getting is good.
We as Americans drive far, FAR more than necessary. They know it, they use
it.
    We have decided we wanted our cars larger again.. They oil companies
have also noticed that, and since they've discovered that we'll keep buying
it at pretty much the same rate regardless of price increases.. They'll just
keep pushing prices higher until they see what the publics limits are.
    When I worked at Sam's Club we had gas pumps installed.. and management
was determined to be the lowest priced in the area.. several times a day
gas prices were compared, and adjusted.. Our then local prices were roughly
$1.40.. and after about 2 months of adjusting.. we were down to $.82.. and
still making money. Since that time, oil prices have increased.. but they
have not tripled.
    Everybody compares gas prices to milk and water prices.. Irrelavant, if
all of a sudden milk was going up $.50 a week.. Or the price on bottled
water was changing dramatically. Gas prices have gotten the attention
lately not so much because they have gotten so much higher than we're used
to, but more so because they are going up like the price signs are animated.
And as people have mentioned.. When you have holiday weekends that people
are known to travel for, they tack an extra $.05-.10 more onto the price..
You're travelling, you need it, there's nothing you can do.. but pay for it;
right now, the oil companies and gas stations are holding the cards.
    I've said my piece, Now to go do some unnecessary driving of my own.
Aaron W