Re: Today's gas prices

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 17:43:54 EDT

andy levy said:

>> $.55 per gallon less up here for diesel
>
> Yeah, diesel's a good 20 cents/gallon (in some places even more) less
> than regular unleaded here in NY.

So here's a conspiracy theory for you. Doesn't diesel come from the same
barrel of oil as unleaded gasoline? Why, then, do they claim that they
have no choice but to raise the price of gasoline because of increased oil
prices, but they don't have to raise diesel? It's a bit higher, but it
sure hasn't jumped recently like unleaded has.

It's not like diesel is a low volume product. Just look at all the big
trucks, buses, trains, and so forth that all burn huge amounts of diesel
fuel every day.

I think they're just going after private individuals because they know we
pretty much have to pay whatever they charge. It's not like we can go on
strike and just stop driving to work. Furthermore, I think the price of
unleaded is artifically inflated so they can recover the loss they're
taking on the diesel.

> I need to find me a used Jetta TDI for my commute.

Nah... Ram 2500 CTD. Convert it to run on french fry grease :-).

Okay, seriously, I am pretty intrigued by the upcoming diesel in the
Liberty. Should be interesting to see what happens with that in the North
American market.