Re: Today's gas prices

From: Barry (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 12:23:01 EDT

Jeff Durling wrote:

> On May 19, 2004, at 8:02 AM, Jon N. Benignus wrote:
>

>> on 5/18/04 11:05 PM, Aaron Wyse at awyse@sw.rr.com wrote:
>>
>>> I wouldn't figure in the refinery maintenance.. shouldn't they have
>>> been
>>> rotating which ones they shut down anyway.. Maintenance is just that,
>>> and
>>> they would have had it planned for.
>>
>> The problem with that is all the refineries are running WFO. Take one
>> refinery out of the mix, and you have a shortage.
>> There haven't been any new refineries built in many years because everone
>> has the NIMBY attitude. There are refineries about 30 miles from here
>> which
>> have been shut down due to EPA regs. Fewer refineries, higher demand,
>> higher
>> crude prices equals higher gas prices.
>>
>> Cheap gas is not a birthright.
>>
>> Hey, how about rescinding the fuel tax increases Klinton gave us?
>>
>> Jon
>> STL MO
>>

> All I will say is this. Remember that quite a few refineries were taken
> off line back in the 90's for the only reason but to help keep gas
> prices up. Cut the production supply down a bit and you can keep the
> prices up. There was a whole buch of senate, epa, dept. of energy
> investigations into this until the current administration took office.
> Since they are oil friendly for the most part everything has been placed
> on the back burner. Not pointing fingers since it wold matter which
> party was in office, if they had a oil sensitive administration they
> would be the same way.
>
> Just the facts................
>
> Jeff Durling
>
> BTW, cheap gas insn't a birthright but price gouging illegal.

I had this gas price debate with Jon in STL a couple of months ago. Please
don't confuse him with facts. Despite the fact that he dosen't work for
the oil industry [his claim], I think they should hire him, he is such a
cheerleader. [J/k dude, don't flame me..]

In any case, it's sorta senseless to debate seeing as we (the general
public) are utterly helpless to affect our own destiny here, save for
switching to more efficient vehicles.

--
          -Barry

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think" -fortune cookie

DML: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/Rb@6EE4xQAF2k/ Superhawk: http://barrysuperhawk.home.insightbb.com