Re: RE: Diagnostic Port Wiring

From: Barry (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 14:45:59 EDT

Larry L Athey wrote:

> I'll be honest, my only intention is to be able to listen to my pickup
> on a plain RS232 (serial) basis on my laptop so I can see what's going
> on with the diagnostic port. Once I get a grasp on it, I want to build a
> small in-dash or under-dash device based on a PIC processor and a small
> flourescent display that replaces the "check engine" idiot light with
> something more comprehensive. Might sound complicated to someone who
> isn't a programmer, but I do this kind of stuff on an almost daily
> basis, so it's really not that major of an undertaking for me. I would
> also end up making the schematic and the PIC processor source code
> public for others who would like to do the same thing.

I suppose you could "start" looking, not at the truck, but at the
aftermarket code readers. It seems that it would be easier [and cheaper]
to reverse engineer one of them...

--
          -Barry

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think" -fortune cookie

DML: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/Rb@6EE4xQAF2k/ Superhawk: http://barrysuperhawk.home.insightbb.com