RE: Engine backfire on deceleration

From: orange383@comcast.net
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 15:15:01 EDT

Ok, the cap, rotor, wires and plugs are all new so I suppose it would narrow it down to the belly pan gasket. Assuming this to be the problem and causing a lean condition would that only cause it to run lean when decelerating or coasting? I ask because I just had it smogged (CA new dyno smog) and it passed perfectly fine, but the catalytic converter is fairly new. It was replaced the same time as the cap, rotor, wires and plugs. Actually, it never did this before I replaced everything. The converter is a high flow Carsound model. Could that possibly just make it more apparent due to the loss of backpressure? Thanks again.

David