Alternate sources of energy discussion (was: Hybrids (was: Hybrid Escape)

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 23:45:32 EDT

On Jun 4, 2004, at 8:10 PM, Josh Battles wrote:

> Actually, the cooling water never mixes with the lake next to the
> reactor, here in IL, there's a lake called Lake Heideke (hide-a-key, i
> think the spelling might be wrong) that's great for fishing, and it's
> got a nuclear powerplant right next to it that uses its water.
>
> There are already several fusion reactors around the world, and the
> theory that they're based on is sound. However, they have yet to be
> able to create a self sustaining reaction, and thus far (IIRC) haven't
> been able to generate more energy than what is used to sustain the
> reaction.
>
> IMO, nuclear energy gets its bad rap because people are afraid of
> another big accident like the one at Chernobyl and Three Mile Island.
> You hardly hear about TMI anymore because it's since been cleaned and
> is habitable again, whereas Chernobyl is not. Fear of this technology
> comes because knowledge is very limited, and I feel that with greater
> public knowledge, the fear would subside and we could start phasing
> out the dirtier forms of energy generation, and use that extra savings
> to further research potential ways to increase efficiency of nuclear
> power plants, while at the same time furthering research into
> alternative energy sources.
>
> I too drive > 70 miles every day during the school year, and with the
> relatively poor (by comparison) mileage that I get in my truck, I
> can't help but think that I should be looking at more fuel efficient
> transportation. I was actually hoping to purchase a motorcycle for
> summer usage to help offset the fuel cost, since bikes get in excess
> of 40mpg.
>
> Sorry that I've derailed this thread so far...
>
> --
> - Josh
> Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L
> www.geocities.com/lenny187/dakota.html
> www.omg-stfu.com

Good Points Josh. I actually don't think this is an off topic thread. I
feel that it has to do alot with our trucks and what the future may
bring as fuel prices and such have an effect on al of us. Sometimes
it's good to just broaden the topic a bit and discuss things of this
sort. If it was about how you feel about the design (looks of hybrids)
or that oil companies are just big monopolies, then maybe a bit off
topic but alternate source of fuel have prefect relevance in my mind.

Jeff Durling