Re: RE: Seat Belt Tickets??

From: Gary Hedlin (garyhedlin@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sun Jun 06 2004 - 14:08:07 EDT

Thatıs my veiw on it exactly.... Wearing a seat belt is a personal safety
choice and in no way affects the safety of others.

In Illinois its a $55 fine, and they can pull you over if they see you not
wearing one. Heh...and they say Fascism is dead???

But in my case, I was wearing a safety belt, just not the stock shoulder
belt but the lap belt. If the law is you must wear the stock safety belt,
then there's A LOT of people in my situation that are up $hit creek when
theyıve got $40,000 accessible vans that technically are not legal for them
to drive or ride in.

The standard practice for these vans is to secure the wheelchair via a
locking mechanism to the floor, then the person is secured to the chair by
the chairs internal safety belts or other apparatus (depending on a number
of factors).

You tell me how a shoulder belt would stop a 3-400lb wheelchair in a
collision, because the laws of physics says it wont happen.

Bottom line....seat belt modifications happen all the time in my realm, and
they work better than the stock belts. So you tell me how safety belt laws
can be made to deem these as illegal just on the sole premise that theyre
not stock.

....That's why im so upset about this!!

--
Gary Hedlin