Re: RE: Foolish Lowering Blocks

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 01:59:28 EDT

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 00:44:28 -0400, John Neff wrote:

> I would drill the hole in the blocks so that the nut "just" fits in. That
> nut will end up being your alignment pin and you really don't want your axle
> moving around on you.

I ended up grinding the pin ever so slightly until the blocks just slipped
over it. It's definitely a tight fit. I actually used a hammer and block
of wood to bash 'em on so that it would be tight.

> Here's a question for you. How does the alignment pin on the other side of
> the block fit your spring perch on the axle? If the pin is smaller than the
> hole in the spring perch, you should seriously consider shimming the pin
> with a section of tubing to keep the pin from moving in the spring perch.

That was the weird part, the pin on the block is ~2mm (I busted out the
caliper) bigger than the receiver hole in the block. The pin fits into
the spring perch and has next to no play whatsoever.

> Or better yet, return the blocks for ones made for your truck so you
> don't have to do a lot of fab work to make them fit.

Normally I would, but shipping them back to California
(truckperformance.com) from Canada is way more of a pain in the ass than
10 minutes with the angle grinder.

Anyway, I like what the blocks did. I like the look, and I definitely
notice an improvement in braking dive. I just don't know if it'll be low
enough when my Eibach springs get here and I get them installed. I'll
have to see.