RE: Re: RE: Distributor Drive Timing

From: Ronald Taylor (scsilverdakdml@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 12 2004 - 18:39:15 EDT

I've actually been down this road before with both the Magnum and LA Series
(Pre-Magnum) engines..

Here is what I've found......

The Magnum series engines have the oil pump drive installed front to back or
straight on in-line...
this will put the #1 station on the Dist Cap at the 7 o'clock Position as
viewed from the front of the Truck looking back toward the
firewall.......this is correct for a Magnum engine.

The LA Series (Pre-Magnum) engines have the oil pump drive turned 1 tooth
turned counter-clock wise so the oil pump drive is in-line with the
centerline of the forward most bolt that retains the intake on these
engines.

This places the #1 station on the Dist Cap at the 6 O' Clock position or
straight on....this is correct for these engines.

I've owned and worked on at least one of every LA or Magnum Series engines
except the 273 and the V-10's, so I know from experience on these and this
particular problem or issue.

My 5.9 MP Crate motor came with the oil pump drive installed in the Magnum
specific location and since it used the OLD LA Style ignition system
(Electronic) I had to adjust the plug wire stations to the Magnum position
on the LA style Dist Cap.....This was the only way it would RUN properly!

Ron
01' Dakota Sport 3.9 4WD
Street,Strip,and Show!

99' Dakota SLT CC 5.2 4WD