Re: RE: Re: RE: RE: Setting Distributor Drive Timing (Fuel Sync) without DRB

From: BlackDak93 (stephen.barnett@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 16:02:41 EDT

It seems every answer brings up another question. Bernd, you mention that on
some 94 and older models, you can't set the sync with a DRB. Is this because
of the PCM, or something different with the engine itself? I assume it has
something to do with the PCM, since all the distributor components are the
same. The reason I ask is because my engine is out of a '95 Ram. My Dakota
is a '93 with a '93 Ram PCM (manual transmission). This morning I was able
to pull the distributor and oil pump drive out and rotate it to
approximately the 5 O'clock position. I then followed your procedure to set
the fuel sync. One thing I noticed is that there is a few degrees of
rotation either way before the voltage level switches. I tried to set it
about in the middle. It didn't help my backfire problem, but it seems to run
and idle better.

""Bernd D. Ratsch"" <fasstdak@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On some of the older ('94 and older) vehicles, you can't set the sync with
> the DRB. Is the voltmeter way inaccurate? Guess how DC techs were doing
> this before the DRB - voltmeter. While I respect KRC's opinion on how to
> set sync, they don't work for DC.
>
> Proper way is still with the DRB (or any scanner that can show Fuel Sync -
> SnapOn MT2500 for example) - just make sure you install the distributor
> correctly (aligned properly).
>
> - Bernd

Their
> procedure does not state how to set fuel sync with a voltmeter, as they
say
> it is inaccurate. The procedure below addresses how to set the initial
sync
> without a DRB scan tool. I think this is the discrepancy.
>

> ""Bernd D. Ratsch"" <fasstdak@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Yes...that's the official and correct way to set initial sync as per
> > DC.
> If
> > not set properly, you can had adverse performance. The proper way is
> still
> > to properly align the distributor and then set sync via the DRB or any
> other
> > scanner that shows Fuel Sync at 1000rpm (not to be set above or below
> > 1000rpm).
> >
> > - Bernd

DRB