RE: Setting Distributor Drive Timing (Fuel Sync) without DRB

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (fasstdak@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 19:35:56 EDT

Was there any play side to side on the rotor shaft? If there was, you've
got a worn out drive bushing (down in the block) which can cause the
problems you're describing. There will be a little bit of play while
turning, but not a whole lot.

Yes, some PCM's were different...even today. Example: You can retard the
timing with the DRB (Misc Options Screen) on some '97-'01 models (bitchin
feature for blower motors) but not on all...don't know why either - it's
random. Mine does it and I've retarded the timing up to 6 degrees just to
play with it...set it back to "0" though.

On the backfire, is it at all times or just when it's cold? Also - easy
test to see if the plenum is leaking (which can also cause lean-out
backfires): Remove the airhat and put your hand over the top of the TB. If
is doesn't suck your hand down tight and still runs after 10 seconds...it's
leaking. (Was actually able to put my hand over the top of a Durango TB and
it still ran for more than a minute - very bad plenum leak.)

- Bernd