RE: Re: RE: Setting Distributor Drive Timing (Fuel Sync) without DRB

From: James Calder (jCalder3@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 22:52:21 EDT

I rebuilt my 200,000 mile engine a couple years ago but didn't replace the
drive gear. Just last week I replaced it because I couldn't get rid of a
slight hesitation (tried EVERYTHING else). After replacing the drive gear,
there was still some rotational play but not as much as with the old drive
gear. The wear pattern was VERY visible on the old gear. The fuel sync is
set now with a voltmeter and the hesitation has decreased. I think after
it's set with a scan tool, it may be gone completely (I hope). If you have
a high mileage engine, you may need to replace it. It was only 35 bux. If
you do, you should also change the brass bushing pressed in the block but
you would need special tools for that. Of course if all that is worn out,
your cam drive gear may be worn too...and if your cam is worn....;)
jamesC