Re: RE: Setting Distributor Drive Timing (Fuel Sync) without DRB

From: BlackDak93 (stephen.barnett@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 20:48:15 EDT

I didn't notice any side to side play. There was a slight bit of rotational
play, though not much. The backfire occurs whether hot or cold whenever I
decelerate, as in let off to shift gears or to coast down a hill etc. I
checked and replaced the plenum gasket. I also replaced the header gaskets.
I had a couple of leaks there from cheap gaskets. Sometimes it is more of a
burble or a rumble than a backfire, but occasionally it will pop pretty good
out the tailpipe. I'm pretty much out of ideas. The only thing I have not
done is checked the timing chain/sprockets for excessive play. I have the
chain and sprockets, I just haven't had time to replace them.

""Bernd D. Ratsch"" <fasstdak@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Was there any play side to side on the rotor shaft? If there was, you've
> got a worn out drive bushing (down in the block) which can cause the
> problems you're describing. There will be a little bit of play while
> turning, but not a whole lot.
>
> Yes, some PCM's were different...even today. Example: You can retard the
> timing with the DRB (Misc Options Screen) on some '97-'01 models (bitchin
> feature for blower motors) but not on all...don't know why either - it's
> random. Mine does it and I've retarded the timing up to 6 degrees just to
> play with it...set it back to "0" though.
>
> On the backfire, is it at all times or just when it's cold? Also - easy
> test to see if the plenum is leaking (which can also cause lean-out
> backfires): Remove the airhat and put your hand over the top of the TB.
If