Re: Tire sizes for R/T wheels

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 09:28:30 EDT

"Barry" <barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com> wrote in message

> Josh Battles wrote:
> > <B1LLYW@aol.com> wrote in message news:8c.d5de97a.2dff23c3@aol.com...
> >
> >>How low are you? 255/50 might work.
> >>
> >>Bill White - KRC Performance
> >

> > 2/3 Hotchkis. I've got 245/70-15's on it now and they're 29" tall
according
> > to the DML calculator thing. There's still plenty of wheelwell left
too.
> > Check out the pics here:
> > http://album.omg-stfu.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=dak
> >
> > 255/50 sized tires are only 27" tall so they'll fit no problem. I'm
just
> > looking basically for width, as I'm sure I won't find a tire that's too
tall
> > in the 17" size. a 275/55 would be the same height as what i've got
now,
> > but almost 11" wide.... The front width is where I'm worried, the rear
> > doesn't matter as much, i've seen some WIDE tires on the back of
dakotas.
> > I'd consider getting different sized tires for the front/rear, but I'd
like
> > to maintain the ability to rotate them if I want to.
> >

> As a point of reference, 31x13.50's [measured] only rub a little, at full
> lock, at the very front, in my fenderwells. I know it's 2wd vs. 4wd, but
> our fenders are the same size...I will take some measurements on mine if
> that might help [using the center of the hub as a reference, you ought to
> be able to come pretty close..]

You also have to remember that my clearances are 2 and 3 inches smaller than
stock would be as well. I can get about 2 fingers between my front tire and
the bottom of the wheelwell, at the body. I think I'm going to go with the
stock R/T size of 255/55 and then go a little more radical next time I buy
tires for it. I've been doing some research on various messageboards and it
seems as though the Kumhos have mixed reviews. Most of the negative ones
are with noise and wear though, and since I really don't care about either
one of those items, I think I'll be okay. Besides, you can't beat $80 a
tire.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L