Re: Can anyone out there paint??????????????

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 18:55:46 EDT

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:06:49 -0400, Curt Kitts wrote:

> I just came from a paint place (Rogers Customs). $800 and some odd dollars
> just to paintmy grille, front and rear bumbers, and fender flares.
> OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i ask again, CAN ANYONE OUT THERE PAINT????????

Well, I did my side mirrors, hood, and the non-body-colour portions of my
grille in satin black a couple weeks back

Plastic parts are easy to paint, just get spraybomb paint designed for
plastic, mask off what you need, clean the surfaces and go to town. Get
some fine (400 grit) sandpaper in case you get any runs. I used a paint
made for bumpers, and it turned out quite nice.

The hood took longer... I sanded pretty much the whole thing to bare
metal, then 3 coats of primer, getting progressively finer with the grit
on the sandpaper between coats, then 2 coats of the paint.

On another note, $800 seems pretty steep for that little work. I got
quoted $1700 CDN to paint my whole truck (not including body work or trim
removal.)